Family LawyerJoin our team
Simpson & Marwick is one of Scotland’s longest standing and most trusted law firms, having opened its first office in Edinburgh in 1886. Our long standing should not be mistaken for a staid approach to delivering legal services, in fact it is quite the contrary. Where technology and modern working practises make it easier for our clients to work with us, we embrace them and ensure we are always at the forefront of our profession. We offer flexible and blended working to ensure our staff have a positive work-life balance, as well as a number of work benefits.
We now have an exciting opportunity for a family lawyer to join our growing Family Law Team. You will work across the Moray Legal Group with established offices in Edinburgh and Glasgow and the new Esson & Aberdein offices in Aberdeen.
The ideal candidate is a client focussed, diligent solicitor with a positive attitude and solutions-based approach. They will enjoy the challenges of working in a Family Law environment and have an excellent ability to deal empathetically and pragmatically with clients to reach successful resolutions.
The role will see the candidate progressing all types of family law cases independently, with appropriate supervision where required. You will be required to handle a variety of matters including separation and divorce, financial provision, child residence and contact, pre-/post-nuptial agreements, cohabitation issues and adoption. Reporting to our Head of Family Law you will manage your own caseload and have experience of progressing family client matters in the Sheriff Court and experience of Court of Session practice and instructing Counsel.
The role also presents an opportunity to ambitiously contribute to the development of the team and a passion for business development is desired. The successful candidate will be afforded the opportunity to develop their own career, as well as contribute to the team’s presence in the family law market.
- Being a key point of contact for family law clients and meeting with clients independently
- Managing their own caseload of family law clients
- Corresponding with clients and other solicitors autonomously
- Progressing client matters to litigation in the Sheriff Court and Court of Session, where appropriate.
- Responsible for written and oral advocacy of litigated matters, as well as instructing counsel and handling witnesses as necessary
- Supporting business development within the department
- Legal research, drafting blogs, articles and press/social media publications
- Contributing proactively to development of team’s case management systems
- 2+ years PQE and experience of working with a family law team
- Excellent knowledge of Court practice and procedures
- Desire to appear in Sheriff Court on behalf of clients and develop advocacy skills
- Experience of handling a wide range of family law matters in Scotland
- Enjoy developing strong rapport with clients
- Strong communication and organisation/prioritising skills
If you would like to apply, please send your CV and covering letter to email@example.com. Part time candidates and candidates seeking blended working arrangements will be considered equally for the role. Please also detail your notice period and salary expectations for the position in your covering letter.